Thursday, February 5, 2009

How to help someone use a computer

"Having convinced yourself of these things, you are more likely to follow some important rules: Find out what they're really trying to do. Is there another way to go about it?" It has always been helpful to me that when my approach to a problem doesn't work if someone shows me an easier and more effective way to accomplish the same thing. I liked this one because it involves looking at other possibilities when trying the same thing a hundred times doesn't work.
"First you have to tell yourself somethings: If it's not obvious to them, it's not obvious." This one was good too because I remember when I first started working with computers being told something was easy or obvious was frustrating. Especially because by the time I asked for help I was already frustrated.

I can use these when teaching about how to use Second Life both in general terms to a new user and to a teacher by remembering it is not obvious and it is often best to find another way to do it.

Agre, Phil. "How to help someone use a computer." 1996. 2009 Feb, 05. http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/how-to-help.html

No comments:

Post a Comment